• 2.Meiji-za Theater

    SMG 1811
  •  

    The Meiji-za Theater (present-day Myeongdong Theater) was designed by a Japanese architect named Tamada. The work was started in 1935, the same year as the Gukdo Theater, and completed in October 1936.

    During the colonial period, it was used chiefly as an entertainment facility for the Japanese. It showed films produced by Shochiku. After the country’s liberation, its name was changed various times in succession, including Gukje Theater, Municipal Auditorium for City, National Myeongdong Theater, Myeongdong Art Hall, Daehan Investment Trust Management, and Myeongdong Theater (2006).